Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Labor Delivery Story of Kaija

This may not be the most exciting thing to read but I am doing it for my own history. You have been warned. It is May 19th and I am 19 days more pregnant that I have ever been and so uncomfortable my due date is not until the 30th but do not think I can take it much longer as it was hard to move at this point. I went to the Dr. on Monday the 18th and was still dilated between 2-3 which I had been for 2 weeks. I was so disappointed because I had been trying all the things people suggest for labor to start. Walking, spicy foods, yes even sex and also an herb my sister in law told me about. Well Monday night I decided to do some manual labor and picked weeds out of the garden and raked in the weed killer into the dirt.
So the morning of the 19th I woke up around 6am and I had started leaking a little bit of fluid. So I decided to take some more of the herb and then go walking. Had some contractions while walking but stopped once I was done walking. Then I got ready for the day and Kaleb and I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things. I continued to leak fluid and I left a message at my midwifes office and was waiting for a response. 
I put Kaleb to down for his Nap around 1:30 I got to the bathroom and a lot of fluid leaks I call office again and my midwife was not working today they tell me to come in and be checked by another midwife. I get Kaylynn to come to the house to be with Kaleb and to take care of him. 
Mikko meets me at the office water is totally breaking and I start contractions once there. I am dilated to a 5 the send me to hospital. I get to hospital at 2:40pm they are trying to get me all checked in and getting set up in a room. The contractions are pretty close together. First nurse tries to start and IV to take some blood and that was painful and it did not work. There was a shift change right then so other nurse tries other hand and that again was painful but finally got it in after my hand bleeding all over the place. 
My midwife gets there and she was great. She helped coached me through the contractions Mikko was busily rubbing my back. CNM Sandae Bonare knew just what to do she coached me through well and so did Mikko. I did pretty good with contractions breaking and grunting low through them. Then she thought I should try going to the bathroom cause she thought it would help move the baby down and it work it was time to push. I told them I didn't want to push because I remembered how painful it was to push with Kaleb. I am doing this all natural so no pain killers here. Then get me ready I squat and push the pain is excruciating and I start the screaming. I think I pushed a couple of time in the squat but I did not want to do it. They have me sit back a bit with my legs up I push a couple more times and the head comes out and it was so painful they asked me to push one more time to get the shoulders out and they say that is all I need to do. I remember asking if it will hurt less and they say yes. I push again and she came out with a flood of liquid and all other kinds of things. I made it and she was out.
Kaija Elisa Puikkonen was  born on May 19th at 4:02pm weighing 7lbs 15ounces and is 21 inches long. She is all healthy and laying on my chest. I ask if she is OK and they say yes. I was concerned because Kaleb had breathing and lung problems but Kaija is all good. 
I tore a little bit and they had a little trouble getting the placenta out. The cord was only attached by nerves which is not the norm so it pulled off from the placenta and then the placenta started coming out in pieces and the nurse had to push down on my stomach to help get it out. Finally after a pit it came out I was sewed up and it was all over. We go home tomorrow from the hospital and it will be a new experience to have two children and to see how KB adjusts. The first day he would not touch her or hold her he did not want to be by me either. But today he would talk to her and touch her so hopefully it will get better.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you guys and can't wait to come up and visit the little cutie!

Heidi said...

Wow!! Congratulations!! Great story and a very happy ending! Welcome little Kaija!
Big brother is probably still trying to figure out why and how she got out. That's how my daughter was. She just sat in the hospital room looking at me so strangely. It truly is a miracle! SOOOooo happy for you! Happy recovery!

LDeSbian said...

Thanks for the detailed story. My body hurt just reading it. You are truly a rock star doing it natural! I admire you so much! I can't wait to meet Kaija!! Congrats again to you and your family!

Jonathon and Amanda said...

Congrats!! Can't wait to see some pictures of her.

Mikkel said...

Well that didn't sound TOO bad! Glad she is here and all is good! Post some pics!

Ashley Jackson said...

I'm so glad everything went well. When you guys are settled back in this weekend I will have to come down and visit. Don't hesitate to call me if you need help with anything or I can watch Kaleb for you or clean, anything just let me know:)

Gretchen said...

Congratulations!! :) How exciting and you are my serious HERO for going natural! Woah. That is intense, but I'm sure you know that already :) I can't wait to meet her. Hope things continue to go well.