Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Quiet Book

So here are 8 of the 20 pages of the quiet book I finally finished, well 99% finished.
So here is the deal back in June I decided I wanted to get a quiet book for Kaleb for church since he has decided that he can't be still for an hour and really why do we think that toddlers should hold still for an hour. Anyways, I search the Internet to buy one, but couldn't fine any, but found a lady who sold kits. Well on her site it said completed pages, that to me means done like what is shown. But all it was is 10 pages printed on pellon. I still needed to color, assemble and sew. So for some stupid reason I buy 2 kits because I felt stupid that I was at this ladies house and I did not realize how hard it was going to be, so I could not back out. OK that was 35 bucks a kit, but then you have to reinforce the pages, so I end of buying a bunch of extra pellon and wonder how to accomplish that. So I go to Kanab thinking that I will have time to do it down there, but all I accomplish is spraying the pages with starch and ironing them.

So in the past two months I got them colored and made many trips to the store to get felt, fabric markers and crayons, eyelets, shoelaces, ribbon, Velcro and probably more that I am forgetting. I asked the lady how much it would cost if I just paid her to make them and she said she charges $150 a book. Believe me, now I know why she charges that much!!

This last weekend we sent Kaleb to Grandparents house so I could do the sewing, and it took me three days, some bad words and watch a bunch of episodes of Buffy to get it all done.
So my advice for anyone who wants to make a quiet book........ do it if you want to dump a lot of money and time in it and do it before you actually HAVE children, it will be easier.

Kaleb and Kaija will have to play with these for years so that we get our moneys worth!!

6 comments:

Mikkel said...

Wow those are great books but the price and work sure stinks. I was thinking I really wanted one at first, now I will probably pass! But at the same time, I am jealous you have them! Loved the little snack pocket. Cute. Give yourself a pat on the back for all that hard work.

I love how Kaleb took all the pictures on the blessing day. Such a cute way to document the event.

And your kids ARE getting so big. I can't believe it. When is the next time you'll be in Kanab?

Brant and Jana said...

You amaze me, when you brought them to kanab, I was glad it was you and not me I would have never finished that project! Way to go!

Unknown said...

Wow, what a project! They look darling though. Like Mikkel said, I was wanting a quiet book too, but it sounds like I don't want to go there! I'm sure the kids will enjoy those books for years!

Gretchen said...

I think that thing would entertain ME for an hour. Good job!

triplej said...

I made quiet books when Kirina was young and they are GREAT. Good job.

Diamond in the Rough said...

You are such an awesome mom :)!! They're awesome, you have more patience than I do to figure it all out. I would have sat down and cried. Your kids will love 'em!